from Christian Marte SJ,
Subject: Father Stan Swamy SJ
Jesuit priest, 83 years old,
imprisoned in India.
Fr. Stan Swamy SJ, 83 years old
I. India, Austria and the Jesuits
• For Austria, India is a very important country (tourism, trade, friendships).
• Christians there are a minority, highly involved in education, health + social services.
• Jesuits have been present in India for centuries, especially with schools and colleges.
• A Jesuit task is also the work with dalits and adivasis (indigenous people) through
promoting their organization, their human rights, and advocacy for them.
• Several Jesuits from India are currently doing university studies in Austria.
II. Father Stan Swamy SJ
• Indian citizen, born 26 April 1937, 83 years old. Jesuit. Catholic priest.
• Fragile health: Parkinson's disease, difficulty in hearing, hernia patient.
• In prison since 8 October 2020, currently in Taloja Jail, Mumbai.
• Arrested by National Investigation Agency (NIA).
III. Reasons for imprisonment
• Fr. Stan is accused of being linked to Maoist groups + involved in the Koregoan case.
• The claims are wrong and denied by Father Stan and the Jesuit order.
• Fr. Stan worked his whole Jesuit life for indigenous people (adivasis) and dalits.
• Sensitive issues are land ownership rights and his work for imprisoned youth.
• Fr. Stan was the last of 16 human rights defenders arrested under the Unlawful
Activities Prevention Act.
IV. My request
• Please contact relevant persons and ask for intervention.
• First goal: the release of Father Stan from prison due to health reasons.
• Second goal: a fair and public trial for him and the human rights defenders.
Fr. Dr. Christian Marte SJ
Rector of the Jesuit College in Innsbruck, Austria
25 January 2021
Kontoverbindung: Jesuitenkolleg Innsbruck
Raiffeisen Landesbank Tirol
IBAN: AT35 3600 0000 0350 5500
Wir sind Ordensleute aus Leidenschaft für Gott und die Menschen.